Files for Kindle version of Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP

The files accompanying Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP: Training from the Source are on the CD-ROM at the back of the printed book. So, what do you do if you have bought the Kindle version and there’s no CD-ROM? Depending on when you bought it, look at the beginning, just after the title page, or the end on the penultimate page of the book, where you’ll find details of how to obtain the files. The files are also available in the book’s Extras tab in Safari Books Online or Creative Edge.

This entry was posted in Books, Dreamweaver, PHP. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Files for Kindle version of Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP

1. Judi Luptak says:

Was very excited to jump into the book and get started. However, when I go, as directed at the end of my e-book, to the URL given for the files I get an error page. I have been trying to work with the publisher to resolve the issue and seem to be getting no where. One person even told me to contact Amazon? Why would Amazon know anything about their supplemental content? I am reaching out as a last effort to get a copy of the lesson files. After reading chapter two I am finding this book very dependent on the lesson files and if I don’t have them by Friday I am going to have to return the book (that is the return deadline) and find a different training resoource. I prefer the content in yours so I am really hoping that someone can find a way to get me the files.

Hi Judi, Sorry to hear about the problems with obtaining the download files for the Kindle version. Unfortunately, that’s not something over which I have any control. It’s all handled by the publisher. I hope you managed to get the problem sorted before the return deadline for the book. I have been away in Japan dealing with urgent family business, so didn’t see your post until after the deadline. Let me know if the problem wasn’t resolved, and I’ll contact the publisher to try to find out what the problem is.

3. willis reed says:

David, I am having a similar problem. I bought a printed copy on Amazon and it came without the CD.
    I followed your instructions on this site and contacted Peach Pit and here was there response:

Dear Willis,

Thank you for contacting Peachpit Press. All of Peachpit’s eBooks contain
    the same content as the print copies. In terms of media content, you should
    find a link within the first or last few pages of each eBook that will
    direct you to the media files. Often eBooks open to the first page of the
    first chapter, and you must scroll back several pages to get to the front
    matter where the URL is located. For more current titles, you can locate the
    URL after the index.

Again I didn’t get a ebook I got the actual printed copy on Amazon.
    What should I do to solve this situation?

Willis, You could return the book to Amazon, pointing out that it doesn’t have the CD and asking for it to be replaced. However, the reply you received from Peachpit is ridiculous. I’m passing on your comments to my editorial and marketing contacts at Peachpit, and hope that they can resolve this quickly.

5. willis reed says:

Thanks for your reply David. First, let me say it is a great book. I took a glance at a few pages and can’t wait to dig in and start learning. I also bought your PHP Solutions book. I am going to finished this book first and then move on to the Dreamweaver with PHP. I plan to purchase the Kindle version of both books but wonder will I have the same problems as Judi??? The deadline for returning my printed copy has pass due to the fact that I am in Afghanistan and the book was purchased Febuary 13th and I just got it on March 14th. Pass 30 days so what should I do to get the lesson files???

Willis, I have passed on your details to a senior editor at Peachpit and asked him to get in touch with you directly to sort out this matter. It’s still early morning on the West Coast of the USA, so I haven’t had a reply yet. Judi never got back to me regarding her problem with the Kindle download files, so I don’t know if she ever managed to sort it out. But I haven’t heard from anyone else with the same problem, so I’m assuming the error was only temporary.

As you know, the files are freely available for PHP Solutions and other books that I have published through friends of ED; but Adobe Press (Peachpit) restricts access. I don’t have any control over that policy, but I’ll do everything I can to ensure that the publisher makes the files available to everyone who has bought the book.

7. willis reed says:

Thanks David, I was contacted and sent a link to the files. So I am now very pleased, no harm no foul.
    Really looking forward to learning and applying some new PHP skills. Now if I could only find a book to help me plan my websites from start to finish. Any suggestions???

8. willis reed says:

Hey David, I just had to tell you how helpful your books have been to me. I bought a kindle just to have your books with me at all times. I own the printed and kindle versions of PHP Solutions and Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP. They have changed my life. You make PHP a joy to learn. I want to thank you so much and can’t tell you how much this means to me.

PS
    I am still trying to find a book to help me plan my websites from start to finish. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your kind comments, Willis.

As for books about planning websites from start to finish, a couple that you might like to consider are “Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability” by Steve Krug, and “InterACT with Web Standards: A Holistic Approach to Web Design” written by a cast of thousands (well, a lot of people). Steve Krug’s book is quite short, but has lots of examples, and is very well written. He has a new book out which has something about Rocket Surgery in the title, but I haven’t read it. The InterACT book is aimed more at beginners and teachers of web design. Roughly two-thirds of the book is devoted to teaching the basics of HTML and CSS, so it might be too elementary for you. But the first nine chapters give a good overview of the plannning process. It might be worth looking at if you can find it in a library.

10. Chatzidimitriou Dimitrios says:

Hello there!

(I probably should not post it here.. but I’ ll give a try!)

So, I bought this wonderful book “Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP” and I have tiny problem to get something work!

lesson06/workfiles/update_user.php gives me a notice

“Undefined index: password in D:\EasyPHP\www\phpcs5\lesson06\workfiles\update_user.php on line 46″

I thought that I did something wrong so I used the file
    lesson06/completed/update_user.php

and it gives the exact same error!

I try to google it and most people say that the &_POST['password'] does not exist (or not submitted) .. but since I am totally newbie I cannot handle it..

Can you give me any direction?

I also post this question on adobe forums http://forums.adobe.com/thread/841901

My system configuration is like this
    OS: Windows 7 pro
    EasyPHP 5.3.5.0
    Apache/2.2.17 (Win32)
    PHP/5.3.5
    MySQL: 5.1.54

Thank you in advance! I would really appreciate if you could spend some time to help me!

I think you’ll find the answer on the book’s corrections page. See the corrections for pages 200-201.

12. Chatzidimitriou Dimitrios says:

Hello again,

Unfortunately did not work.. I did it from the scratch..

I still get the same error..

If you have some spare time you can check this image http://www.katharma.com/dwcs51.jpg

Thank you in advance!
    I appreciate your help!

13. Chatzidimitriou Dimitrios says:

Just an update..

As I mentioned I posted the problem in Adobe forums too. A user came up with a suggestion, to add an extra “if” statement..

The code below seems to solve the problem..

if (isset($_POST["MM_update"])) {
    if (isset($_POST['password']) && empty($_POST['password'])) {
    $_POST['password'] = $row_getUser['password'];
    } else {
    $_POST['password'] = sha1($_POST['password']);

######################################

He also said..

“For security you really should be using user_id from the profile info query instead of passing the user_id to a hidden form field and then using that as the parameter to update the user. Ask the book author for more info on this off topic subject. With your current script hacker could put the form on any page with action pointing to your page then be able to change any user’s password by entering whatever id they want in the hidden form field.”

Are there any suggestions?

Thank you!

Yes, there is a mistake in the code. Sorry about that. I’ll issue a correction.

I have posted my reply to your questions in the Adobe forum.

15. Chatzidimitriou Dimitrios says:

Hello!

I am sorry to bother you again!

Just a question!

If I follow the ZF practice and create a website will be considered as secure?

If no, can you suggest a book on how to strengthen the security?

I understand that may there is no absolute security but If I create my website ( an e-shop for example) using ZF like is demonstrated in your book, my site will be easy to get hacked?

Thank you!

Ps: English is not my native language that is why I do not express myself well.. I hope you understand!

The Zend Framework is extremely robust. Nothing is 100% secure, but ZF is created by some of the most expert PHP developers. I think it’s a good choice, which is why I based my book on it.

17. Chatzidimitriou Dimitrios says:

Thank you very much David!

18. Kamal says:

Hello David Powers.

I was working zend e-mail on lesson 8 Dreamweaver cs5 with php. I have a problem reset password page in my test website. Here is the link http://test.citidesigners.com/forget.php

When I enter registered email like. info@citidesigners.com. and I submit , I am getting this error Incorrect authentication data.

and this message

Request Received
    An email has been sent to your registered address with instructions for resetting your password. and I am not recieving any emails.

Please help in solving this error. I am not sure why it’s failing to authenticate properly.

Here is mail connector script

‘login’,
    ‘username’ => ‘info@citidesigners.com’,
    ‘password’ => ‘password
    ‘);
    $transport = new Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp($mailhost, $mailconfig);
    Zend_Mail::setDefaultTransport($transport);

Thanks

Have you implemented the corrections listed on this page: http://www.foundationphp.com/phpcs5/errata.php ?

20. Kamal says:

Hello.

I did implemented the corrections and so far everything working right except that erros. I
    also contacted the host, they said we don’t know.
    Please help

21. Kamal says:

Hello David.

Thanks for pointing the corrections needed some of the pages. The resetting password it’s working now and I am not sure what caused the errors.

22. Chatzidimitriou Dimitrios says:

Hello there!

I would like to ask something about the 288 page (Using SQL functions with Zend_Db) on line about 8-10..

$where = “start_date > $today”;

What type of variable is “$where” ?

What data is really placed in it?

What does the “>” sign mean ?

Thank you!

As explained on page 286, the Zend_Db update() method takes three arguments, the final one being an expression that identifies the record(s) to be updated. If you’re familiar with SQL, it’s the equivalent of a WHERE clause, for example:

UPDATE users
    SET username = 'davidp'
    WHERE user__id = 2

So, the value stored by $where is similar to WHERE user_id = 2. In the example given on page 288, it passes the following value to the update query: WHERE start_date > CURDATE().

The > symbol is a comparison operator that means “greater than”. See Table 3.4 on page 75.

24. Kamal says:

I have registration form using hash of password: hash_hmac function and storing the database this format. I am using user_authentication.php in lesson 7 for logins. the login is failing because the authentication is using ‘password’, ‘sha1(?); so please help how to use hash_hmac() function instead sha1() for logins .

Thanks

I have never used hash_hmac(), but the principle is exactly the same as using sha1(). Looking at the documentation for hash_hmac(), you would need something like this:

'password', 'hash_hmac("md5", ?, "secret_key")');

Replace "md5" and "secret_key" with the hashing algorithm and encryption key that you’re using. Note the use of double quotes, because the last argument is wrapped in single quotes.

26. Kamal says:

Thank you very much david It’s working now. Also I am getting an errors on reset password like this
    : missing or malformed local part .

any suggessions ?

Thanks

27. Kamal says:

Good Morning .
    : missing or malformed local part . This is the error I am getting form forget password and normaly it comes if I enter a wrong email. any suggessions?

Thanks

The local part of an email address is the section that precedes the @ sign. For example, in david@example.com, the local part is “david”. The error message is telling you that it’s missing or malformed. That suggests that it’s either being stripped off somehow or that it includes invalid characters.