Back online

Bad news, as they say, always comes in threes. First, I had to attend a family funeral on the other side of the world; then I fell ill, and finally, the motherboard on my dedicated server went into meltdown. As a result, all my websites have been offline since at least Wednesday of last week (14 January 2009), and I have been unable to answer a lot of questions in online forums, including my own blog.

The good news is that my server is now back online, and I hope to deal with the backlog of questions in the next few days. Apologies if you have been waiting for an answer.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Back online

1. Carol E says:

May the rest of 2009 be a very good year for you.

I was getting ready to launch into a diatribe about how php was crashing dreamweaver and it all started when I opened one of your download files from phpSolutions. But I composed myself and found the solution (I deleted the WinFileCache) and all seems fine now.

I’m glad I found the solution and didn’t do the diatribe. I’ve gotten a lot of benefit from phpSolutions. It’s the first of several php books I’ve read (including your books on dreamweaver and php) that ever “clicked.”

Thanks, Carol. Deleting WinFileCache (or MacFileCache) seems to solve 90 percent of problems with Dreamweaver. It’s such a useful technique, I have included it in my book on Dreamweaver CS4.

It’s nice to know that one of my books has clicked. 😉

3. John Sutton says:

I was sorry to see that you have had so many challenges lately. I hope things are trending up for you as we move into February. At least you don’t have to deal with all the snow an ice we’ve had lately in the northeastern United States.

I was wondering if you might have any suggestions about how to enable the pdo_mysql driver.

I’m working on a Mac Leopard 10.5.6 with a native installation of php and mysql and when I look at my php configuration for PDO, the only drivers enabled are sqlite2 and sqlite.

I’ve been searching the web for a solution to enable pdo_mysql and those I’ve found all involve compiling php from source using the command line, something which is a little beyond my confidence, at this time.

Can you provide guidance on this issue?

Thank you!

John Sutton

4. Rob Hurley says:

I have a question about dedicated servers: what do you need to run one? Not only the hardware, but what sort of internet connection would this require? And, if a T1 or better is necessary, how would one pay for that sort of thing?

Hi John,

Thanks for your good wishes. Although I’m sure the snow hasn’t been as bad here as in the USA, it’s been the most severe winter for about 20 years. Since we’re not used to it, it has caused a lot of disruption, but things seem to be getting back to normal – at least in London.

As for PDO on Leopard, as you have found, it’s not part of the preinstalled Mac version. I have now given up on the preinstalled version and use MAMP instead. It’s an all-in-one package that contains Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin. There’s no need to uninstall anything before installing MAMP. Just turn off the native Mac version of Apache by deselecting Web Sharing in System Preferences. After installing MAMP, reset the MAMP ports to use the default ports for Apache and MySQL. MAMP seems the best choice for a Mac. It’s available as a free version or the Pro version is available for a small fee.

Rob,

I can’t answer your questions about running your own dedicated server, sorry. My dedicated server is rented from a hosting company that looks after all the hardware and maintenance. I’m considering moving to a different host when my current contract runs out, so I can’t recommend anywhere at the moment.

7. Jeremy Bowman says:

Your comment 5 above — about installing MAMP “on top of” older versions of Apache (etc.) is the most useful thing I’ve heard in months. Thanks!

BTW, I’m enjoying EDGTDW4 every bit as much as EGTDW3 — it’s worth every penny!

8. Jeremy Bowman says:

I have foolishly changed the root password of MySQL via PHPMyAdmin.

Now when I try to open PHPMyAdmin, I get the message “Error: Could not connect to MySQL server!”

How do I get it back?

@Jeremy, Judging from your earlier comment, you’re using MAMP. phpMyAdmin stores the MySQL root password in Applications:MAMP:bin:phpMyAdminForPHP5:config.inc.php. Around line 86, set the value of $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘password’] to the new password that you chose for root.

10. Jeremy Bowman says:

That’s it! Thank you so much again!