Changes in phpMyAdmin 3.0

phpMyAdmin, the popular front-end to the MySQL database, has issued the first stable release of the version 3.0 series. The basic functionality remains unchanged, but there are some important differences. To begin with, phpMyAdmin 3.0 requires a minimum of PHP 5.2 and MySQL 5.0. Don’t try installing it with earlier versions of PHP or MySQL—it won’t work.

The main changes affecting the phpMyAdmin user interface concern the creation of new tables. They can be summarized as follows:

• When setting a default value for a column (field), you need to select a value from the drop-down menu. The options are None, As defined, NULL, or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP. If you select As defined, type the default value you want the column to have in the field immediately below.
  • As before, phpMyAdmin treats all columns as NOT NULL. In other words, all columns require a value to be inserted in them. To make a column optional, select the Null checkbox. In the version 2 series, this was a drop-down menu.
  • To set an index on a column, choose the appropriate index type from the Index drop-down menu. The choices are PRIMARY, UNIQUE, INDEX, and FULLTEXT. In the version 2 series, these were represented by radio buttons.
  • To create an auto incrementing column (normally used in conjunction with a primary key), select the A_I checkbox. In the version 2 series, this was a drop-down menu called Extra.
This entry was posted in Books, MySQL, phpMyAdmin. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Changes in phpMyAdmin 3.0

1. John Sutton says:

My pen name on Friends’s of Ed is John Edward.

I would truly like to send you a book, but the one I have in mind is not on your wish list.

The title I’m thinking of is: The Wild Braid and for some reason, I think you will find it satisfying on a few levels.

So, as soon as you let me know you’ve added it to your Amazon USA wish list I’ll send it off to you. With gratitude

Regards,

John Sutton
    Arlington, VT

2. John Sutton says:

Hi David!

How are you?

I was just wondering if you ever received the book, The Wild Braid from Amazon?

Hope all is well.

John Sutton
    Arlington, VT

Yes, I did, John. Thank you. I have written to you privately.

4. Dan says:

Hi David:

I am using your Essential Guide to DW CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP and have been sailing right along quite happily. Thank you for a really good book!

But today is day 4 of trying to get phpmyadmin to work on my PowerPC G5 with OSX 10.5.4. When I try to connect through Safari to the phpmyadmin local url, I get the message:
    Error
    MySQL said:
    #2002 – The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server’s socket is not correctly configured)

When I change the config.inc.php file to have $i = 1; instead of $i = 0; then I get a pypmyadmin screen that has only a Interface panel and Web Server and phpMyAdmin version information. But none of the Database or localhost fields are there as seen in figure 13-4 of your book.

When I use MySql Administrator, it says that mysql is running, that the host is localhost, and that the Socket is /tmp/mysql.sock

In reading around on the web, there is some discussion about where mysql puts the socket and where phpmyadmin looks for it. Could that be my trouble?

Also, since there is no mysql package for 10.5 on a powerpc from dev.mysql.com I have been using the powerpc package for 10.4 in the 32-bit variety. Could that be part of my problem?

On my macbook intel processor, I used the intel 32-bit version of mysql for 10.5, and I get the same set of messages as I do on my powerpc desktop machine when I try to connect with phpmyadmin. I have not used Mysql Administrator on this machine.

I hope you have written somewhere about this already. If so, please send me the link! If not, do you have any hints?

Again, many thanks for your very clear book. But I am really stuck here. In over my head, I suppose.

Cheers.
    –Dan

5. Dan says:

Hi Again:

An addendum to my just-previous email.

I should say that I am using the current stable versions of mysql and phpmyadmin.

phpmyadmin version information: 3.0.1.1

Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.5

mysql server info MySQL 5.0.67 via socket
    localhost 127.0.0.1

mysql client
    MySQL Client Version 5.1.8
    Power-Mac-G5-Dan.local

Darwin 9.4.0
    2x Power Macintosh (PowerPC G5) 2300.0 MHz

Thanks again

6. Tolu says:

Hey David,
    Just want to commend you on your past and present works on XHTML, CSS, and PHP. I particularly enjoy reading ‘Essential Guide to DW CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP ‘ (though I have just started) !
    I am also using your “PHP Soluitons: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy’ I know you wrote the book in 2006 but have benefited immensely from it. I however, met a brick wall in downloading the workfiles for the book from http://www.friendsofed.com/downloads as I keep getting a damaged or corrupt zip file downloaded!
    I have tried it like 5 times. I even tried downloading it on my friend’s laptop – I got the same result. I think the zip files might truly be corrupted! Please check it out and help out!
    I await your respose, thanks

Tolu, I have just downloaded the PHP Solutions files and unzipped them without problem. I opened several files, and they’re all OK. I don’t know why you should be having problems.

8. Tolu says:

Thank you for the quick response, now I am sure the problem was from my end. Will try again!

9. dennis says:

Hi David, I have been reading your book, DW CS3 with CSS, Ajax and PHP and was able to set up testing server and did the feedback tutorial with imputing data into the form and getting the results back sucessful.

I now want to try a sample data file in excel (CVS file) and import it in MyPHPadmin into mySQL. I created database name, table and then went to import link at top and browsed to file file, but I keep getting same error # 1064 syntax error.

I’m new to database work and I don’t know what to do to fix this problem – Help.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Dennis, I have just answered an identical question in the Dreamweaver Application Development forum, which I suspect was also posted by you. Nobody can troubleshoot a syntax error without knowing what the data contains.

11. dennis says:

i saved the excel file as test.csv
    Here is the file:
    Part# Title Cost
    12345 Garmin 129

Its just a test file to see if it would work, the column headers are Part#, Title, Cost
    and there is one product in the file.

The problem is the # in Part#. It’s an illegal character in a column name.

13. dennis says:

I took all the columns out resaved file and it still is not working. I saved it a couple of ways, CSV, XML and tried it and no good.

here is the error message:

Error

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 1

12345
    Garmin
    129

False
    False

SQL query: Documentation

Den Den 2008-11-28T21:11:18Z Home 10.6845 14310 24795 120 135 False False 12345 Garmin 129 3 7 1 False False

MySQL said: Documentation
    #1064 – You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘
    <Workbook xmlns=”urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreads’ at line 1

Dennis, the error message is no use to me.

I created a an Excel file using the data you gave me, and exported it as CSV. In Notepad, the contents of the file look like this:

part,title,cost
    12345,Garmin,129

In phpMyAdmin, I created a table with three columns called part, title, and cost. Then I clicked the Import tab, browsed to the CSV file, and selected CSV as the format of the imported file. In Fields terminated by, I replaced the semicolon with a comma, and clicked Go. It imported the data without problem.

15. dennis says:

In Fields terminated by, I replaced the semicolon with a comma,

Thanks, that solved the problem. I didn’t know how to do that part.

Thanks for the help!

Den

16. dennis says:

I have product images, one small and one large for each product. The small one I want to show on the products page when someone clicks on the link in the sidebar and the large one on the details page.

My question is, do I include the link to the images in the database and include the images in the table i create?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Sorry, Dennis, this is not a support forum. I’m just about to get on a plane to Milan. If you have got any questions, please post them in the Dreamweaver forum, where other people will be available to give you assistance.

18. David I am trying to set up a local testing environment using Mac OSX Leopard. I followed your book, PHP for Dreamweaver 8 to the letter, I believe. However when I use the url http://localhost/~brucebourgeois/phpMyAdmin/, I do not get the full window.

The only items that display are the INTERFACE, WEB SERVER and phpMyAdmin areas. Only three areas. Please help me. I’m reading PHP Solutions also and plan on purchasing more books since I purchased CS4. Thank you much.

19. Bob says:

Hi David!
    I’m reading your PHP Solutions book. I have just installed PHP 5.2.6, Apache 2.2.9(Win32), and phpMyAdmin 3.1.0.

I just successfully logged in to phpMyAdmin, but I’m getting two messages toward the bottom of the main screen of phpMyAdmin. I will go to the book forum site and request help but thought you might want to know.
    Here are the messages:

Cannot load mcrypt extension. Please check your PHP configuration.

The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret).

Thanks,
    Bob

Bruce & Bob, phpMyAdmin 3.1.0 changes quite a lot of things in the way you install it. I have put some brief instructions for Windows in response to a post in the friends of ED forum. I haven’t had time to investigate how the changes affect PHP on Mac OS X.

If you’re having problems installing phpMyAdmin 3.1.x, I suggest downloading the most recent version of phpMyAdmin 2. I see from the 3.1.0 release notes that the new setup process is “work in progress”, so it’s going to be a moving target for the foreseeable future. phpMyAdmin 2 does everything you need.

21. Emily says:

Have u heard about sqlyog! it is an Open Source which is too flexible. Its super rocking by its best awesome features within. Go for it. Just rocking.

Yes, Emily, I have heard of SQLyog. I have not only heard of it, I give the URL for it in my books. The reason I draw people’s attention to changes in phpMyAdmin is because most hosting companies provide it as the default way of interacting with a MySQL database on shared hosting.

There are several graphical front ends for MySQL, including Navicat, MySQL Query Browser, and DB Tools Manager. Choose the one that suits your needs best.

23. Jason Cooper says:

Hello David,

I have two questions I would like to ask you.

First of all, I am currently reading EGDWCS3- and I find it very informative, might I add. But I am having a slight problem. When I log into my site’s phpMyAdmin home page, a message appears at the bottom that reads, “Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.51a differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.30. This may cause unpredictable behavior.” And today, I noticed a new mesaage at the top of the page that reads, “Cookies must be enabled past this point.” Otherwise, the program appears to be operating fine. Do either or both of these messages indicate serious issues and, if so, do you have solutions for their rectification? I am preparing to begin chapter 14 of your aforementioned book and, as I plan to incorporate significant database functionality into my web site, I would greatly appreciate your advice on this topic.

Secondly, does CS4 Web Premium offer enough enhancements beyond its predecessor version to warrant an upgrade?

24. Asni says:

quote from: Bob

I have the same problem, I only get the first error message though. I’m on MacOS 10.5.6 and using the inbuild Apache and PHP.

If the original poster reads this – have you found a solution and could you perhaps send it my way please?
    asni @asni.net. Thanks!

Meanwhile I’ll try and do what David suggests.

Also to say, dear David, your book rocks! I’m not the most computer literate person on the planet (though perhaps after those 730 pages I will be) but so far it’s been all smooth sailing, until I hit the hitch with PhpAdmin. Thanks HEAPS! 😀

25. Asni says:

It just ate my quote. 🙁

26. Hauser says:

Just as point of interest, since this forum comes up pretty highly ranked at Google for my query “fix my damn phpmyadmin 3.1.0 left pane browse icon,” I decided to share my solution. Traditional 2.x.x PMA behaviour, to which I am still addicted, causes a click on the little left panel table icon in front of a table name to take you to the Browse tab of that table. The text link traditionally takes you to Structure or “fields list.”

Turns out my otherwise awesome host (Westhost.com/VPS.net) offers a vanilla PMA 3.1.0 installation with a de minimis config.inc.php file. Well, 3.1.0 introduced the `LeftDefaultTabTable` to the cfg array, which is called in a few places in the navigation.php script. Absent a value set for this, the default location where the overall app will take you upon icon click is to Structure. The text link would also go to Structure. ugh! `DefaultTabTable` behaves the same way, absent a value, or it inherits the `LeftDefaultTabTable` value if given.

Since I use Browse about a million times more often than Structure, the ensuing chronic 2-click two-step to switch table focus and Browse was irritating me. So the fix is pretty simple to get back to traditional GUI behaviour:

Add these two lines to your config.inc.php, save and done.

$cfg['LeftDefaultTabTable'] = 'sql.php';
    $cfg['DefaultTabTable'] = 'tbl_structure.php';

Hope this helps somebody.

27. azo says:

I just installed phpmyadmin into my computer. I have some questions regarding the making connection with notepad++. is there any could help me with this matter.

28. Michael Nguyen says:

I’m installing XAMPP (version 1.7.3) all in one package to practice the code in your book, and i run into problem when connect to database, it gave me an error
    such as: Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user ‘user’@’localhost’ (using password: YES) in E:\xampp\htdocs\connect.php

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: Access denied for user ‘ODBC’@’localhost’ (using password: NO) in E:\xampp\htdocs\connect.php

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Access denied for user ‘ODBC’@’localhost’ (using password: NO) in E:\Xampp\htdocs\connect.php

not sure what i did wrong, can you help?
    Thank you!
    mike

The best place for help with XAMPP installation problems is in the XAMPP forum. Just looking at the error messages, it looks as though you have done something wrong in setting the security for MySQL.

30. Nathan Shafer says:

First, many thanks; between this book, “Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS, AJAX and PHP,” and the PHP OOP book, you are quickly becoming my personal guru! 🙂

Now, on to my question: in the chapter on setting up MySQL, you recommend downloading code libraries for connecting PHP and MySQL from dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/php… the problem is that the page does not seem to exist, and in the parent directory page, there is no link for PHP – just for C, Java, NET, and a couple others.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Nathan

The libraries are no longer required.

32. Bakulesh Thakker says:

I have installed Apache, PHP and MySQL. On running phpinfo I see following version numbers:

Client API version 5.1.48
    Client API library version 5.1.48
    Client API header version 5.0.27

Is it necessary to have all three version numbers same?

I don’t know whether it’s necessary, but all three version numbers should normally be the same. In the past, I always used to recommend installing Apache, PHP, and MySQL separately. However, so many people now use XAMPP or MAMP, I have decided to do the same. I’m currently running XAMPP 1.7.3 on my Windows 7 machine. All three version numbers are 5.1.41.

34. Bakulesh Thakker says:

Thanks for reply.

On page 270 of book “PHP Soluitons: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy” there are instructions for updating PHP connector files (libmysql.dll, php_mysql.dll and php_mysqli.dll). Are these necessary for MySQL 5.1.48? In reply to someone you said that the libraries are no longer required. By libraries you mean these files or some other?

That’s right. The PHP connector files are no longer required.

36. Bakulesh Thakker says:

On page 280 of “PHP Soluitons: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy” for setting up phpMyAdmin you have given script as follows:

$i = 1;
    $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘extension’] = ‘mysqli’;
    $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘auth_type’] = ‘http’;

This will ask for password. But which password will this be? Is there a default setup in phpMyAdmin?

It will ask for both a username and a password. Normally, you would log in as the root user, and use the root password.

38. Girish says:

I have the most of web development from your books. PHP solution and Dreamweaver cs3 for php.. i am buying the training from the source dreamweaver cs5 book when it comes out, next week.. very excited to read that book from front to back.

i have been waiting on php and flash book with the action script 3.0 version. i always check the book stores and amazon if its out. arent you planning to update that book with the new version of actionscript?

Thanks for buying my books, Girish. At the moment, there are no plans to update my Foundation PHP 5 for Flash book. Writing a book takes many months of hard work. The problem with trying to update the book for ActionScript 3.0 is whether to concentrate on Flash, Flex, or both.

It seems to me that Flex is now a more suitable tool for building data-centric SWFs. I haven’t used Flex sufficiently to feel comfortable writing a book about it. I think that if I do write a new version of the PHP/Flash book, it will need to be in cooperation with another author, who can provide the Flex/Flash expertise, allowing me to concentrate on the PHP side of things.

40. Willie Pietersen says:

Hi David
    I bought your book: PHP Solutions Dynamic Web Design Made Easy.
    I’m busy to work through the book and on page 270 you give a URL: http://devmysql.com/downloads/connector/php but it seems it is not available anymore to download the file extensions for the PHP Connector.
    I don’t get it any ware to download.
    Currently I running PHP 5.2.14
    And MySQL 5.1.52
    I shall be glad if you can give me a little advice.

Kind Regards,

Ignore the instructions on page 270. The connector files are no longer needed. I thought I had added this information to the book’s updates page, but realize it was missing. Sorry. I have now amended the page. I’ll ask friends of ED to update their page, too.

42. The PHP MySQL library version still show 5.0.51a if I do nothing. MySQL server version 5.1.52. (I work on Windows XP) when I look the file

Regards

43. WIllie Pietersen says:

Ignore the above, I saw in the other post’s I can use XAMPP.
    Making things a lot easier.