Finding the Apache Windows installer

Several readers of my books have reported being unable to find the Windows installer for Apache on the Apache download page. Apache is available in many different versions, so the direct links don’t always list the MSI installer package for Windows. If the Windows installer isn’t listed, click the link for Other files, followed by the links for binaries and win32. On the final page, scroll down until you find apache_2.2.x-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
(where x represents the number of the most recent version).

I can’t give a direct link to the file because Apache requests that you always use a mirror site close to you. Following the links as described here automatically takes you to a mirror site.

This entry was posted in Apache, Books. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Finding the Apache Windows installer

1. Neoweo says:

I use wampserver for my local dev serverstuff because I am lazy. It installs the latest and greatest.
    Includes :
    – Apache 2.2.6
    – MySQL 5.0.45
    – PHP 5.2.5

2. David says:

The quality of the all-in-one packages has improved in recent years, so a lot of people use them. The main reason for their emergence was the complexity of setting up PHP on Windows. That’s now a thing of the past, because there’s an excellent installer for Windows available from the official PHP downloads page.

3. Adriana says:

I found this page after I had downloaded the Apache msi installer following the instructions in PHP Solutions. I used apache_2.2.6-win32-x86-openssl-0.9.8e.msi instead of the version without ssl. It works! so I suppose my choice won’t mess up things?

4. David says:

No, it won’t mess up things, Adriana. The only difference is that the version you installed also contains support for openssl. You need that only if you want to develop pages that use secure sockets layer (ones that have a URL beginning with https).

5. Adriana says:

Thanks, David. The installer makes things a lot easier, but I am having trouble nevertheless. If I cannot find a remedy myself I will ask for help in the books forum, which is probably more appropriate.

6. Elvie Tan says:

The apache is seems to be running – but when I clicked start, I got the message Requested operation has failed. I tried to do cd c:\program files\apache group\apache2\bin – it says to such file.

There was not apache2 folder on my computer.

7. Elvie Tan says:

I have a wamp server installed and it works fine.

8. Andrew Lindsay says:

MAMP Pro 1.7 has been working fine on Leopard 10.5.2 since install several months ago.

I started following your instructions on setting up MySQL:
    1) Add export PATH=”$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin” to the .profile file
    2) Open Terminal, type mysql -u root
    3) Type use mysql

Got the message “Database changed” and I – DOH – realized this would probably interfere with MAMP, so stopped and didn’t proceed to set a password for user Root, or to delete anonymous access.

But now MAMP won’t launch PHPmyAdmin
    Is there a way to undo the “use mysql” command?

Type “quit” (without the quotes) in Terminal.